Cucurbit Genetics Cooperative Report 10:43-44 (article 25) 1987
Improving Artificial Pollination Techniques for
M.V. Andrés, J. Abadía, M.C. Hernández-Pina, and
Centro de Edafologia y Biologia Aplicada del Segura, C.S.I.C. Murcia, Spain
Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
The combination of mechanical techniques of stamen removal and pollination
with the growth regulator BA (6-Benzyladenine), increases fruit set in muskmelon
(Cucumis melo L.).
Stamen removal and pollination of hermaphrodite flowers have been carried
out by two different methods, M1 and M2:
- M1 - stamen removal-pollination method:
- One longitudinal incision is made with a lancet on the top of the calyx
(from the bottom of the sepals and upwards) and the stamens are removed.
- Pollination is achieved by rubbing a brush impregnated with pollen from
three male flowers on the stigma.
- M2 - stamen removal-pollination method:
- The corolla, calyx, and stamens are removed with the fingers. Pollination
is achieved by rubbing stamens on the stigma. Although the highest percentage
fruit-set was obtained with the M2 method, the differences were not significant
(P = 0.05) between the M1 and M2 methods. The M2 method is recommended to
Jones using a BA/lanolin paste obtained a fruit-set percentage of about
37.5%, while the percentage of fruit-set for other treatments was only 0.83%
(2). Melon plants treated with 6-BA yielded up to 70% more fruit than control
Four different treatments have been used in this work: (M1, M2 M1 + BA,
and M2 + BA).
The BA is applied with a brush to the base of the ovary of the hermaphrodite
flowers after pollination. The paste is obtained by mixing 0.5 g of BA,
10 ml of 70% ETOH, 9 g of stearic acid, 123.18 al of distilled water, and
48 g of lanolin. The formula is a modification of the one used by Munger
et al. (3).
- Application of BA increased fruit set.
- Variation due to BA treatments was significant, but differences in mechanical
techniques were not significant at a level of 95%.
- There was no interaction between the mechanical techniques and BA treatment.
- The four cultivars of muskmelon used in this work were 'Ogen', 'Amarillo
Oro', 'Honey Dew', and 'Tendral'.
- There were no significant differences among genotypes. Neither were there
interactions between treatments and genotypes.
- We suggest the utilization of the M2 + BA technique for improving the
fruit- set in muskmelon breeding programs.
- Donato, M. and M. Fiore. 1971. Influenza della 6-Benziladenina sull
espresiones sessuale e sulla produzione di frutti di melone (Cucumis
melo L.) e di zucchino (Cucurbita pepo L.). Annali
della facolta di Science aquarie della Univesita degli studi di Torino VII:1-16.
- Jones, C.H. 1965. Effects of benzyladenine of fruit set in muskmelon. Proc. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 87:335-340.
- Munger, H.M. and D.P. Lane. 1983. An improved method of B.A. application
for the promotion of fruit set in muskmelon. Cucurbit Genetics Coop. Rpt. 6:51.
We wish to express our gratitude to Mr. Antonio Zamora for his valued assistance
in carrying out this work.