genetics of economically-important
Watermelon Research and Development Group
(Go to main page)
- Article I. Organization
- Section 1. The name of this organization is: Watermelon Research & Development Group, which may be abbreviated WRDG.
- Section 2. The organization may change its name at its pleasure by a vote of the membership body.
- Article II. Purposes
- To promote interaction between and among the research, extension, teaching and industry components of the watermelon industry.
- To provide a forum for the development, discussion, exchange, sharing, or dissemination of ideas, information, or materials via meetings, email, website and other media, relating to the watermelon industry.
- To promote, encourage, facilitate, or coordinate basic and applied research and education by identifying critical needs, developing methods and procedures, or preparing proposals relating to the watermelon industry.
- To promote liaison or good working relationships with other organizations with similar interests, such as the National Watermelon Promotion Board and National Watermelon Association, and other national, international, or regional watermelon organizations.
- Any other lawful purpose, as may be voted upon by the members.
- Article III. Membership
- Membership in this organization shall be open to all who are actively involved with the research, development and/or promotion of watermelon and watermelon production.
- Article IV. Officers
- Section 1. The officers of this organization shall include a Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary. An effort will be made to rotate the Chair and Vice-Chair between members of industry and academia.
- Section 2. The Chair, Vice-Chair, and Secretary shall each be two year terms. The vice-chair shall assume the role of chair at the end of each two year term.
- Section 3. The duties of the chair are to notify all members via email of all meetings, request meeting space including refreshments and refreshment sponsors, compile the agenda for meetings, preside over meetings, distribute a report of all meetings, and keep membership list up to date.
- Section 4. The duties of the vice-chair are to assist the chair with meeting as requested, and to assume the role of chair at the end of the chair’s two-year term.
- Section 5. The duties of the secretary are to maintain the website which shall include the agenda and reports of all meetings and an up to date membership list.
- Section 6. Elections shall be held during the regular annual meeting every two years (during odd numbered years) to replace the vice-chair, who shall assume the role of chair.
- Section 7. Special elections may be held via email should one of the officers resign or become unable to perform their duties. The chair is responsible for calling special elections via email. If the chair resigns or is otherwise unable to perform the duties of chair, the vice-chair shall assume the role of chair and call a special election for a new vice-chair. If both the chair and vice-chair resign or are unable to perform their duties, the secretary is responsible for calling a special election to replace both positions.
- Article V. Meetings
- Section 1. The annual membership meeting of this organization shall be held in conjunction with the annual meeting of Southern Region of the American Society for Horticultural Science. The annual membership meeting shall be the only meeting where voting shall take place.
- Section 2. The Chair is responsible for notifying all members via email the announcement of the meeting, requesting presentations and compiling the agenda for the meeting.
- Section 3. Special meetings of this organization may be called by the chair when it is deemed for the best interest of the organization; e.g. a special meeting may be called during other conferences such as ASHS, APS, and Cucurbitaceae, if a significant portion of the membership is already present. These special meetings shall be for information purposes only and not for voting purposes. The chair should send a report of such meetings to the WRDG membership.
- Article VI. Voting
- Section 1. Voting shall be carried out during the regularly scheduled annual meeting of the WRDG, unless a special vote is required.
- Section 2. Special voting may be conducted by email vote in the event that waiting until the next regularly scheduled meeting would result in a delay of the function of the WRDG.
- Section 3. All issues to be voted on shall be decided by a simple majority of those present during the regularly scheduled annual meeting. If a special email vote is required, issues shall be decided by a simple majority of those responding to the email within a reasonably defined time period.
- Section 4. These bylaws may be amended by a simple majority vote of members present at a regularly scheduled meeting.