Blackberry Diagnostic Tool
Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service
Home
Educational Institutions
Careers / Employers
Newsletters / Info
Meetings / Events
Publications / Surveys
Germplasm / Cultivars
Grants / Awards
Public Relations
Our Mission / History
Related Links


Agriculture:
the foundation
of civilization

Plant breeding:
the foundation
of agriculture

Plant Breeding Coordinating Committee

Minutes of Meetings and Conference Calls - 2009

(return to PBCC main page or NAPB main page)

These are the minutes of the Plant Breeding Coordinating Committee.

  • Minutes of telephone conference #34 on December 17, 2009 1:00-2:15p CDT
    • Present: P Simon, T Wehner, AM Thro, D Stelly, D Cummings, J Scheffler, K Moldenhauer, L Wessel-Beaver, ML Arpaia, M Havey, P Byrne, R Johnson, S Smith, T Koch, R Mumm
    • The new PBCC website is under construction; it should have wide browser compatibility.
    • The 2010 PBCC Workshop, scheduled for August 15-17, will be held at the Pioneer Hi-Bred facility in Johnston, IA, with capacity for 236 participants. Dr. Gebisa Ejeta is confirmed as the keynote speaker for Sunday evening. Some additional subcommittees were formed around various organizational needs and these include the following:
      • Scientific agenda subcommittee: B Tracy, T Wehner
      • Tours subcommittee: P Arthur, K Lamkey, B Tracy
      • Education subcommittee: R Holdren, T Abadie, R Mumm
    • A registration website has been created. Early registration discounts will be in effect through the end of May. Three hotels have reserved blocks of rooms with reasonable rates for participants. The workshop will be a product of the NAPB, at which a meeting of the PBCC will be scheduled. 
      J Scheffler gave a report on PBCC awards. These will include:
      • Early Career
      • Lifetime Achievement
      • Poster Award (students)
      • Suggestions for other awards can be directed to Jodi.
    • Financial management of the NAPB/PBCC was discussed and issues were raised regarding
      • Creation of a Treasurer position among NAPB officers
      • Tax exempt status
      • Out sourcing this role e.g. CSSA, ASHS (Jodi to investigate options.)
      • Independent elections for PBCC and NAPB
    • Topics for additional white papers were suggested: climate change, food safety, child obesity, bioenergy, global trade. The logistics of creating new white papers could involve the Grand Challenges Subcommittee designating point persons as leads or a subcommittee on white papers could be formed. No decision was made.
    • EC members were invited to submit notices of graduate student opportunities at their respective institutions.  These will be included on the new NAPB/PBCC website, with invitations to extended to the wider membership to submit additional notices to come
    • Next Meeting - PBCC Committee
      • January 21, 2010 @ 1:00 p.m. Central Time
  • Minutes of telephone conference #33 on December 3, 2009 on the 2010 Meeting
    • Attendees: Pat Arthur, Tabare Abadie, Myra Brubaker, Dave Bubeck, Rachel Holdren, Stephen Smith, Sharyl Sauer, Dwight Tomes
    • Via Teleconference - PBCC Committee Members: Kendall Lamkey, David Stelly, Jodi Scheffler, Steve Baenziger, Shelley Jansky, Bill Tracy
    • Keynote Speaker confirmed
      • Dr. Gebisa Ejeta, Winner of 2009 World Food Prize for breeding drought tolerant and disease resistant sorghum for Africa
      • Stephen will draft invite letter on Pioneer Hi-Bred letterhead from NAPB (National Association of Plant Breeders) and send to Phil Simon for his approval and co-signature. Reminder to make reference to PBCC. FedEx letter.
      • Letter sent Fed Ex and e mail early Dec
    • Additional Speaker Recommendation: Amy Iezzone
    • Scientific Agenda: Bill Tracy Subcommittee Chair, Todd Wehner
    • Tours Options: Pat Arthur
      • Pioneer
      • Offsite
      • Livestock Nutrition Center
      • Divide into groups
        • Group A - Morning Pioneer Tours; afternoon classroom breakout sessions
        • Group B - Morning classroom breakout sessions; afternoon tours
      • Highlight PHI
      • Participants must sign up for tour
      • Tour subcommittee: Pat Arthur, Kendal Lamkey, Bill Tracy
    • Media Outreach/Publications/Professional Society Newsletter
      • Sharyl Sauer – As we approach the meeting a media outreach plan will be developed which may include inviting a few key science/ag/local media to attend and/or interview coordinators and participants.
      • “Save the Date” e-mail will be distributed by Todd Wehner and Seth Murray
        • Memo needs to be written for save the date e-mail
      • Publication/Professional Society Newsletter – Rachel Holdren
    • Registration
      • Registration will be closed 4 weeks prior to event. Maximum 236
      • Eventbrite (www.eventbrite.com) will handle online registration and credit card payments
    • Education Sub-Committee – Rachel Holdren, Tabare Abadie, Rita Mumm
      • Early Career Path Training/opportunities/skills
      • 2009 - 52 grad students attended
      • Networking – Professional Society Newsletter
      • Survey previous participants – grad students
    • Tentative PBCC Meeting Agenda
      • Sunday, August 15, 2010
        • 12:00 Noon – 5:00 p.m.: Business Meeting – Suggestion made to begin at 1:00 p.m.
        • 2:00 – 5:00: Career Opportunities for Grad students: Presentations and round-table
          • (Bubeck, Schmidt, Austin, International Ag person-ask PBCC)
        • 5:00 – 6:00: Socialize
        • 6:00: Dinner
        • 8:00 – 9:00: Lead Science Presentation Dr Gebisa Ejeta
      • Monday, August 16, 2010
        • 8:00 – 5:00: Science Meetings – Speakers
        • Posters
        • Dinner – Myra and Leslie will follow up in January
      • Tuesday, August 17, 2010
        • Morning: Tours – Pat Arthur
        • Afternoon: Session with Grad Students
        • Parallel Sessions: Business Meeting
    • Registration/Local Arrangements
      • Hotel/Dinner arrangements
      • Offsite dinner – Tuesday (State Historical or Science Center)
      • Local hotels – Rates confirmed - $67 up to 4 weeks prior
      • Event online registration and credit card payments (Myra will coordinate w/Eventbrite and AP)
        • Eventbrite (www.eventbrite.com) is an excellent registration site which is easy to use, offers easy payment processing method for attendees, very cost-effective, and will meet all our needs.
      • Marie Siron, Finance Supervisor, Account Payable, will appoint someone to handle registration fees and process invoices, etc. 
    • Next Meeting - Speaker Sub-Committee: Bill Tracy, Todd Wehner
      • Bill Tracy will lead group and schedule meetings in December and January to discuss remainder of Science agenda/speakers
    • Next Meeting - Tour Committee: Pat Arthur, Kendall Lamkey, Bil Tracy
      • Pat will schedule meetings
    • Next Meeting - PBCC Committee
      • January 21, 2010 @ 1:00 p.m. Central Time
  • Minutes of telephone conference #32 on November 19, 2009 1:00-2:15p CDT
    • Present: P Simon, T Wehner, S Baenziger, A Van Deynze, D Cummings, J Scheffler, K Smith, L Wessel-Beaver, M Havey, M McGrath, P Byrne, S Jansky, S Murray, R Mumm
    • The status of the PBCC website transition was discussed. Seth has been working on website design. Settlement of finances from the 2009 Annual Meeting is needed to proceed with website establishment. In the meantime, Todd has been maintaining the PBCC website at NC State.
    • Donn suggested that the new website include links to RAs/graduate fellowships or ads for such posted with university support. This feature could be supplemented with a FaceBook pointer.
    • The 2010 PBCC Workshop is scheduled for August 15-17 in Johnston/Des Moines, IA, with Pioneer Hi-Bred International as host. Votes will be taken for choice of the Monday evening speaker through November 23rd, with selection among an outstanding list of dynamic speakers. (Subsequently, Dr. Gebisa Ejeta, awarded the 2009 World Food Prize for breeding drought tolerant and disease
      resistant sorghum for Africa, was nominated and has agreed to deliver this opening presentation.)
    • Discussion of PBCC awards was postponed since Ann Marie was not on the call.
    • White papers and 1-page briefs have been targeted as critical resources on various topics key to plant breeding. In some cases, these need to be finalized by previous subcommittee leaders and posted to the PBCC website: white paper from the Rural Subcommittee and 1-pagers from Excellence, Collaborative, Safe & Secure, and Harmony Subcommittees.
    • The Excellence white paper is being submitted for publication in Crop Science (under Perspectives or Review & Interpretation section) and may perhaps be the first in a series of articles developed from white papers.
    • A motion for NAPB to become a member of the AFRI Coalition was brought by Steve Baenziger, seconded by Todd, and agreed unanimously by the EC participants. This move will be in effect immediately and will be ratified at the 2010 annual meeting with the understanding that the EC can make policy as needed on a timely basis which will be ratified at the next general meeting.
    • A new proposed organization and structure for the NAPB and the PBCC were presented (see attached files containing a table and graphic). The new structure shifts the focus of the national state of the plant breeding community including advocacy to NAPB, with PBCC centering on linkage to the government. With this plan, current Subcommittees and Liaisons are shared between NAPB
      and PBCC. Current representatives of government groups (CREES, USDA, US Forest Service) become officers in the PBCC. Current officers of PBCC shift to NAPB. The past-Chair of NAPB will become an officer of the PBCC and the PBCC officers will elect a Chair from among their ranks.
    • Comments on this proposed structure can be channeled through Subcommittee leaders and brought to the next telecon to be held on December 17th.
    • Phil has produced a final version of the 2009 US Plant Breeding Research Priorities Survey for distribution (see attachment).
    • The next telecon will be December 17 at 2p Eastern, 1p Central, 12noon Mountain, and 11a Pacific time.
  • Minutes of telephone conference #31 on October 22, 2009
    • Present: P Simon, T Wehner, S Baenziger, A Van Deynze, AM Thro, C Gala, D Stelly, D Cummings, F Isik, J Scheffler, L Wessel-Beaver, M Havey, M McGrath, S Murray, R Mumm
    • For the monthly telecon platform, a decision was made to switch to FreeConference. This change will enable >20 participants to engage in the conference calls. Since 800 numbers are not utilized with this service, each participant will pay for their own long distances changes to connect to the call. R Mumm to open an account for PBCC.
    • The status of the PBCC website transition was discussed. Seth will follow up with Shelley Jansky as she closes out accounts from the 2009 annual workshop to determine funding availability for the new website.
    • The PBCC and NAPB need letterhead; should we have a contest? Here is an example letterhead (MS Word).
    • T Wehner will send the complete list of Email addresses to R Mumm for communication with the group.
    • The 2010 PBCC Workshop is scheduled for August 15-17 in Johnston/Des Moines, IA, with Pioneer Hi-Bred International as host. Two subcommittees were formulated to make preparations: a planning and a speaker subcommittee. Subcommittee membership as follows:
      • Meeting Planning subcommitee: Kendall Lamkey and Stephen Smith (co-chairs), David Stelly, Jodi Scheffler, Steve Baenziger, Shelley Jansky?
      • Speakers subcommitee: Bill Tracy (chair), Todd Wehner, others?
        • Roger Beachy
        • Fred Kirschenmann, organic production, see: http://www.leopold.iastate.edu/about/moreaboutfred/fred_bio.htm
        • Gebisa Ejeta, winner of the 2009 World Food Prize for breeding drought tolerant and disease resistant sorghum for Africa
        • Howard Shapiro, founding member of the Keystone Sustainability group and VP of Plant Sciences for Mars, who support cacao breeding.
        • Pedro Sanchez
        • Marianne Banziger, Deputy Director General for Research and Partnership, CIMMYT
        • Gurdev Kush, international breeding/disease resistance
        • Bill Clinton
      • Business meeting subcommittee: Phil Simon (chair)
      • Nominations subcommittee: a secretary for PBCC is needed for 2010; is a nominations subcommittee needed?
      • It was suggested to make this conference the annual meeting of the NAPB, with the includsion of a business meeting of the PBCC.
    • White papers and 1-page briefs can serve as resources on various topics. Dave Stelly will investigate opportunities for publication in Crop Science, particularly under Perspectives or Review & Interpretation sections, perhaps as a series of articles.
    • Allen Van Deynze is generating a short article (<500 words) for Seed World on the results of the 2009 US Plant Breeding Research Priorities Survey. CSA News, GIPB, NIFA, and the Forestry Newsletter may be similar venues that could be pursued by the Communications Committee. 
    • The US Plant Breeding Research Priorities Survey can go into Seed World, Seedquest, GIPB, Plant Breeding Newsletter (Clair Hershey), Newsletter for CGIAR centers (IRRI, CIMMYT), CSA News and ASHS Newsletter, Forestry Newsletter (American Forester).
    • Ann Marie Thro signed off the conference call as we began discussing the development of the PBCC Ask Statement. Caron Gala suggested a merged document reflecting priorities outlined in papers by Bill Tracy (2008), Tom Stalker (2008), and the Education Subcommittee (2009). The EC membership was asked to review these (T Wehner will distribute to the executive committee) and submit suggestions to R Mumm, who will assemble for EC review.
    • The AFRI budget for FY2010 has been increased to $262M. Caron reminded us that the FY2011 budget will be going to the Hill in December for consideration in the January to March timeframe. 
    • The next telecon will be November 19 at 2p Eastern, 1p Central, 12noon Mountain, and 11a Pacific time.
  • Minutes of telephone conference #30 on September 24, 2009
    • Present: P Simon, T Wehner, S Baenziger, A Van Deynze, A Iezzoni, AM Thro, W Tracy, D Cummings, E Lee, F Isik, J Sherman, L Wessel-Beaver, M McGrath, M Tuinstra, P Byrne, P Gepts, R Johnson, S Murray, T Koch, R Mumm
    • The status of the PBCC website transition was detailed. The NC State server is continuing to support the PBCC website and T Wehner has updated the website to reflect current information. Transition to a non-campus web host is being facilitated by access to domain names ‘plantbreeding.com’ ‘plantbreeding.org’ and ‘plantbreeding.net’ through Joshua Udall at BYU. Remnant funds from the 2009 workshop will go toward costs of the web hosting.
    • A. VanDeynze has pointed out that PBGworks (Plant Breeding and Genomics network) is a wiki administrated by Oregon State U. that PBCC can use to share and store files. Instructions for creating and using accounts are as follows:
    • The new website will be coordinated with NCCPB website and include links to job boards. 
    • White papers and 1-page briefs can serve as resources on various topics and these are recommended for each of the 7 subcommittees that existed prior to August, 2009. To date, white papers have been posted on the PBCC website for all subcommittees except the Rural Life subcommittee. A 1-page brief has been posted for Education and for Rural Life; Science, Collaborative, Harmony, Healthy, and Safe subcommittees are urged to finalize their 1-pagers and submit to Todd Wehner for posting. Ann Marie Thro recommended development of a white paper on plant breeding objectives for global trade for both public and private enterprises. Donn Cummings will raise this issue at ASTA and NCCPB, the latter along with Tom Koch.
    • There was a strong response to the US Plant Breeding Research Priorities Survey, with a total of 143 completed questionnaires received. P Simon will distribute results to the full membership. In addition, results will be forwarded to Ed Kaleikau at USDA with a note granting permission to share across the agency.
    • Regarding the development of the PBCC Ask Statement: as an SCC-80 committee, it is appropriate to identify needs and then submit these through NAPB.
    • A meeting to organize the 2010 PBCC Workshop was held earlier in the day. Dates were set for August 15-17 in Johnston/Des Moines, IA; Pioneer Hi-Bred International will host. These dates conflict with the Potato Association of America conference to be held August 15-19 in Corvallis, OR; no other conflicts were cited.  Suggestions for speakers are encouraged.
    • Typically, PBCC EC telecons will be scheduled for the 3rd Thursday of each month. Dates for future were set for:
      • Oct 22
      • Nov 19
      • Dec 17
    • The time for the telecon will be an hour later than timings used previously; telecons will begin at 2p Eastern, 1p Central, 12noon Mountain, and 11a Pacific time.
  • Minutes of telephone conference #29 on August 27, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, Tom Cook, Donn Cummings, Shelley Jansky, Randy Johnson, Seth Murray, Jodi Scheffler, Phil Simon, Ann Marie Thro, Mitch Tuinstra, Todd Wehner
    • Current meeting overview
      • Shelley Jansky reported on the 2009 meeting
      • The meeting had 156 attendees including 52 grad students. Most were from the U.S., plus 4 Canadians and 2 from other countries
      • There were 24 posters
      • About 60 of the attendees went on the tour
      • Posters can be put on the website if authors are interested
    • Future meeting subject matter
      • Overview of plant breeding programs
      • Crops could be edited into a book if there is interest
      • Conference call with Stephen Smith (Pioneer) on the week of September 24 at 10 am eastern
      • Planning session at Pioneer for the 2010 meeting will be the week of August 17
    • Survey of Plant breeding needs for federal support
      • Sent out to 800 on our email list; received about 150 responses
      • Need one response for NSF or AFRI for use in grant funding
        • Another response is needed for review of the overall needs for US plant breeding capacity
      • Funding: grants vs. Hatch funds vs. local programs (example: proso millet in Nebraska)
      • Focus of funding: environmental services; food security; international agricultural competitiveness
    • ASK statement
      • The statement is ready to go, but was held for future use (awaiting the start of the new AFRI program)
      • When the AFRI request for applications comes out this fall, we may want to revise the ASK statement for use in Washington
      • Karl Glasener, Caron Gala from CSSA should be on our monthly calls when this issue is being discussed
      • National Issues Consultant Jonathan Moore from ASHS could be included in our monthly calls; see:
    • Attendance and representation at the PBCC (multistate committee) annual meeting:
    • Next conference call
      • September 24 at 1 pm eastern
  • Minutes of executive committee meeting #28 on August 3, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, RIta Mumm, Rich Pratt, Mike Havey, Seth Murray, Jodi Scheffler, Mitch Tuinstra, Linda Wessel-Beaver, Randy Johnson, Donn Cummings, Phil Simon, Audrey Trotman, Todd Wehner, Karen Moldenhauer, Abdullah Jaradat, Marcelo Carena
    • PBCC meeting overview:
      • Thanks to Bill Tracy and Shelley Janskey for organizing this year's meeting
      • Business meeting 1 (Stephen Baenziger presiding): by law changes, wrap up 2009 issues in current subcommittees; decide whether to continue the subcommittee or move to new subcommittee structure
      • Business meeting 2 (Phil Simon presiding): future plan for PBCC; new subcommittee structure that may include:
        • Education
        • Grand challenges (bioenergy, climate change, human nutrition, food security)
        • Awards
        • Communication/common interest
        • Technology/information
        • New subcommittee meetings; election of new officers (secretary, vice chair, chair); membership list; information to congress on plant breeding; build liaisons with other groups
        • Federal view of agricultural science: NIH vs NSF structure for plant and animals systems, health and well being, energy and global change, education and education in NIFA
        • Funding for plant breeding should be placed in a solid position with the communication subcommittee
      • Business meeting 3 (Todd Wehner presiding): award presentation, how should PBCC/NAPB evolve (advocacy vs. science, public vs. private, separate vs. with other societies), next meeting in 2010 with Pioneer (Steven Smith) in Johnston Iowa, thank you to UW; thank you to grad students to attend
  • Minutes of telephone conference #27 on July 16, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, Donn Cummins, Mike Havey, Star Yanzin Gao, Shelley Jansky, Randy Johnson, Rita Mumm, Seth Murray, Rich Pratt, Phil Simon, David Stelly, Bill Tracy, Todd Wehner
    • Update meeting for 2009 in Wisconsin (Shelley Jansky and Bill Tracy)
      • Speaker program is complete
      • Registration site is active: http://www.peopleware.net/2723/index.cfm?siteID=358&eventDisp=0-43-01 62 registered so far, 27 signed up for the tours
      • $5000 has been gathered to defray graduate student registration thus far. The first 50 grad students to register will receive a 50% reimbursement of early registration fee
    • Business meeting topics at the 2009 meeting (Stephen Baenziger)
      • The announcement of the meeting will be sent out again
      • Another email will be sent, covering:
        • Details of the schedule of the meeting
        • 'Homework' planning for business meeting topics
        • Request for nominations for PBCC Secretary and Web Editor
        • Potential changes in restructuring PBCC subcommittees
      • An executive committee meeting is planned for 11am Monday, August 3, immediately preceding the PBCC meeting
      • Stephen Baenziger will lead the first business meeting breakout session on Monday, Phil Simon will lead the second one, and Todd Wehner will lead the third on Tuesday.
      • Regarding subcommittee structure, Todd Wehner suggested that the group be reminded that existing subcommittees will have the option to continue, if they have unfinished work
      • Nominees for a web editor will require an individual with those skills, limiting the potential pool. Seth Murray indicated he has had experience in web editing. Todd Wehner suggested that the PBCC site could be handled by renting space on a server that could be accessible from any institution. With this, the site need not be moved to the institution of the web editor.
      • A description of PBCC structure and mission (based upon last year’s prepared by Linda Wessel-Beaver) will be included with registration handouts at our upcoming meeting
      • Representatives from AFRI be at the meeting, so the opportunity for discussing funding of university breeding programs may arise
      • A call for nominations the PBCC Young Plant Breeder Award has been distributed by Ann Marie Thro, and the first awardee will be announced at the meeting
    • Next conference call
      • To be determined at the PBCC meeting
  • Minutes of telephone conference #26 on June 18, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, Abdullah Jaradat, Randy Johnson, Karen Moldenhauer, Rita Mumm, Rich Pratt, Jodi Sheffler, Phil Simon, Ann Marie Thro, Bill Tracy,  Linda Wessel-Beaver
    • Update meeting for 2009 in Wisconsin (Bill Tracy)
      • Registration site is active: http://www.peopleware.net/2723/index.cfm?siteID=358&eventDisp=0-43-01
      • $5000 has been gathered to defray graduate student registration thus far. The first 50 grad students to register will receive a $100 reimbursement
      • Version 4 of the announcement have been sent out and posted
      • The announcement is expected to be posted twice again on ~July 1 and ~July 17
      • Plans for the tours Wednesday morning, August 5, are fairly concrete with 4 stops at seed company and University of Wisconsin anticipated
      • On approx. July 25, an announcement of the business meeting topics will be distributed. Stephen Baenziger will take the lead on drafting the announcement.  Topics are:
        • National needs for plant breeding
        • Awards for plant breeders. Several already noted and more suggested for early career, cross-disciplinary work, etc.
        • Nominations for PBCC Secretary, Web Editor
        • Potential changes in restructuring PBCC subcommittees
      • Linda Wessel-Beaver suggested a description of PBCC structure and mission be included with registration handouts at our upcoming meeting, to promote participation.  She will distribute last year’s version to build from and Phil Simon will take comments and prepare an updated version for this year’s meeting
      • Stephen Baenziger recently distributed an overview of the proposed agenda of this year’s business meetings.  Feedback is requested.  Rita Mumm mentioned that the Education and Training Subcommittee will have a program, including presentations. 
    • Awards for plant breeders (Ann Marie Thro)
      • A recent call for the PBCC Excellence in Plant Breeding Award nominations has been made.  
      • Plans for a New Investigator Award, and others, are in the works
    • Acknowledgement of Hatch funding by plant breeders (Ann Marie Thro)
      • A recent check of the Journal of Plant Registrations found no acknowledgement of Hatch funds
      • Hatch support should be acknowledged whenever any author on scientific papers including germplasm releases that have received such funding
    • AFRI funding (Ann Marie Thro)
      • The announcement for the next round of AFRI funding is being prepared. Plant breeders are encouraged to submit ideas as to how competitive funds might be aimed to support ongoing plant breeding programs. Ed Kaleikau who is the head of the plant genomics and genetics area will be at the meeting in Madison.
      • Randy Johnson noted that the definition of what research consists of in plant breeding programs needs clarification
      • Stephen Baenziger stated that the typical competitive grant approach may not be the best fit for plant breeders and we need to shape our future. At our upcoming meeting, this topic may come up as part of our discussion of national needs. For example, he suggested the development of plant breeding bioinformatics sites is an example of what might be needed nationally and potentially fundable.
    • Information distribution to PBCC membership  
      • All PBCC members need to receive the most recent announcement of our upcoming meeting
      • The call for PBCC Excellence in Plant Breeding Award nominations also needs to go out to all PBCC members
    • Next conference call: Thursday, July 16, 1 pm EST
  • Minutes of telephone conference #25 on May 21, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, Donn Cummings, Shelley Jansky, Seth Murray, Herb Ohm, Jodi Sheffler, Phil Simon, David Stelly, Tom Stalker, Keith Woeste, Craig Yencho
    • Update on meeting for 2009 in Wisconsin (Shelley Jansky)
      • Registration site is active: http://www.peopleware.net/2723/index.cfm?siteID=358&eventDisp=0-43-01
      • Roster of 8 speakers is completed
      • Question as to whether vendors should be given access was raised by a publishing company and consensus decided this as being OK for this meeting
      • Announcements have been posted at:
        • CSSA by Herb Ohm
        • ASHS by Linda Beaver
        • Plant Breeding News by Shelley Jansky
  • Minutes of telephone conference on May 14, 2009
    • The welcome will review past accomplishments of the group and raise question of where the PBCC wants to aim future efforts
      • Model after PAG meeting or other meetings?
      • Craig Yencho suggested possibly meeting with PAG, especially as a way to improve communication of plant breeders with those developing new genomic technologies. Also would allow better participation for international plant breeders
      • Herb Ohm encouraged meeting with other groups (e.g. CSSA, ASHS) at least periodically.
      • Other groups could also be encouraged to meet with the PBCC meeting. Stephen Baenziger pointed out an interest by a graduate student education group meeting jointly with PBCC. Commodity breeding groups might also want to do this.
      • Mention was made that some plant breeders may never go to PAG meetings
      • Stephen Baenziger suggested a blend of meetings with industry, universities, PAG, and other groups would maximize interactiveness of plant breeders over time and should be encouraged
    • Second question to be raised in the welcome is how should PBCC subcommittees be structured?
      • Five possibilities have been suggested: Education and Training, National Priorities (to address current subcommittee topics), Awards, Communications/Common Interest (to foster interaction of plant breeders of different commodities and employers), Technology and Informatics (establish PhenBank and GreenGenes sites; need for haploid induction projects (for example) for plant breeders)
      • Expand the discussion of a possible new subcommittee structure before the August meeting so we can meet in those new subcommittees at the meeting
    • Stephen Baenziger suggested reminders of the August meeting be sent to entire emailing list of the PBCC now, in early July, and in late July just before the registration fee goes up.
    • Meeting with other groups
      • Encourage, keep diverse to foster broad participation by plant breeders
    • Awards for plant breeders
      • Desirable for improving profile of plant breeders
      • Stephen Baenziger suggested National Academy of Agricultural Scientists, perhaps associated with the World Food Prize
      • Herb Ohm and Keith Woeste suggested awards for early career plant breeders also very important; need to look at joint effort of our commodity groups and professional societies to compile and evaluate nominations
    • REEO responses
      • Stephen Baenziger asked that the draft responses to REEO stakeholder questions (sent as an email attachment) be reviewed and responses sent to him by May 26.
    • Acknowledging Hatch funds
      • Ann Marie Thro had suggested Hatch funds be included with grant acknowledgements in publications
    • Progress in plant breeding
      • Question was asked how we measure impact and progress in plant breeding; need to get agricultural economists involved was mentioned
    • Next conference call: June 18, 1 pm EST
  • Minutes of telephone conference of the business meeting agenda subcommittee on April 23, 2009
    • Members present: Stephen Baenziger, Phil Simon, Todd Wehner, Linda Wessel-Beaver, Roy Scott, Ann Marie Thro
    • Current meeting plan:
      • Monday, August 3
        • 11:00 am: Set up posters (Grand Terrace-East)
          • 11:00 am: Executive committee meeting
        • 1:00 pm: PBCC session 1 (Ballroom A) - update on what has been done; the next step for PBCC: more science (like the Plant and Animal Genome meeting); those who receive national needs grants must attend the conference
        • 2:30 pm: Break (Grand Terrace-East)
        • 3:00 pm: Subcommittee meetings (Hall of Ideas-E,F,G) - part 1 Complete previous work; part 2 Develop future plans
        • 4:00 pm: PBCC session 2 (Ballroom A)
        • 6:30 pm: Dinner - Wisconsin barbeque (Rooftop)
        • 8:00 pm: Speaker 1 (Ballroom A)
        • 9:00 pm: Cash bar (Rooftop)
      • Tuesday, August 4
        • 8:30 am: Speaker 2 (Ballroom A)
        • 9:15 am: Speaker 3 (Ballroom A)
        • 10:00 am: Break (Grand Terrace-East)
        • 10:30 am: Speaker 4 (Ballroom A)
        • 11:15 am: Speaker 5 (Ballroom A)
        • 12:00 n: Lunch (Grand Terrace-East)
        • 1:30 pm: Speaker 6 (Ballroom A)
        • 2:15 pm: Speaker 7 (Ballroom A)
        • 3:00 pm: Break (Grand Terrace-East)
        • 3:30 pm: Speaker 8 (Ballroom A)
        • 4:15 pm: PBCC session 3 (Ballroom A)
        • 6:00 pm: PBCC business meeting (Ballroom A)
        • 7:00 pm: Dinner (Grand Terrace-East)
      • Wednesday, August 5
        • Tours - Commercial alfalfa, vegetables, and corn; University research
    • Models for PBCC meetings in the future (how do we want to be in the future?):
      • A federal committee: like the current PBCC
      • Scientific papers presented in a professional society: like the CSSA annual conference
      • Informal annual gathering to talk about future research/grants needed: like the Maize breeders cooperative
      • Science presentations based on the cutting edge in the discipline: like the Plant and Animal Genome meeting
    • Subcommittee structure
      • Send email for input from PBCC membership to gather input on new topics
      • Ideas for subcommittee topics:
        • Bioinformatics: plant breeding databases
        • Cutting edge issues: sustainability in breeding, selection efficiency and correlated gain
      • Program subcommittee: plan future meetings
      • Any of the original 8 subcommittees that should continue
    • PBCC schedule
      • Business meeting starts at 1:30 pm Tuesday
      • Move the speakers back 30 minutes on the schedule
    • Nominations needed from PBCC
      • Secretary; web editor
      • Website: hire assistant; buy domain name; rent server space (funding for these activities?)
    • Next meeting of the business meeting agenda subcommittee
      • May 14, 11:30 am EDT
  • Minutes of telephone conference #24 on April 16, 2009
    • Members present: George Askew, Stephen Baenziger, Tom Blake, Sylvia Cianzio, Donn Cummings, Caron Gala, Shelley Jansky, Karen Moldenhauer, Rita Mumm, Herb Olm, Roy Scott, Jody Sheffler, Phil Simon, Stephen Smith, Tom Stalker, Ann Marie Thro, Greg Tolla, Josh Udall, Todd Wehner, Linda Wessel-Beaver
    • Meeting for 2009 (Shelley Jansky)
      • Registration site is active: http://www.peopleware.net/2723/index.cfm?siteID=358&eventDisp=0-43-01
      • Speakers have been contacted:
        • Mike Cassler (optimizing experiement design)
        • Jim Burdean (tertiary gene pool of potato)
        • Charlie Brummer (sustainability)
        • Paul Gepts (bean domestication)
        • Jim Holland (assocation mapping)
        • Jeff Doyle (soybean genomics)
      • Announcements have been posted at:
        • CSSA by Herb Ohm
        • ASHS by Linda Beaver
      • Guidelines for poster presentations will be sent to Todd Wehner for posting soon
      • Reduced registration fees:
        • Graduate student fees (37 in 2008)
        • Planning for 100 total registrants at $235
        • Have $4,000 left over from 2008
        • Commercial companies may be able to donate toward graduate student registrations
    • Nominees needed:
      • Secretary and web editor (see David Stelly)
    • Subcommittee meeting topics: same as 2008, or new topics?
      • New subcommittees: education, international trade
      • Topics:
        • Software for plant breeding
          • AFRI grants require that data be public (is there a BLAST for plant breeding)
          • GRIN or ICIS for cultivars and breeding lines?
        • Karen Moldenhaur suggested we form a subcommittee to look at how to make data public
        • Linda Beaver suggested that the meeting have a session on planning for future subcommittee assignments (Monday afternoon)
        • Should the 2009 meeting include more discussion
    • Awards for plant breeders
      • Ann Marie Thro wanted to give a PBCC plant breeding award
      • Subcommittee: Ann Marie Thro (chair), Dave Stelly (vice-chair), Keith Woeste, Greg Tolla, and Rich Pratt
        • Nominees could be voted on my subcommittee chairs
      • Stephen Baenziger suggested that plant breeders often work in isolation; may be difficult to get nominations for
      • Objective: recognize excellence in plant breeding
      • Award examples: international plant breeder, graduate student award, postdoc award, young plant breeder, senior plant breeder, plant breeding educator
      • Need to compile a list of awards already in existence for plant breeding:
    • REEO Comments (Stephen Baenziger)
      • Respond by May to the plan for REEO
      • Sent by email with the conference call reminders
    • Next conference call
      • May 21, 1 pm EST
    • AFRI Grants (Caron Gala)
      • The National Association of Plant Breeders (NAPB) met and discussed issues related to AFRI.
      • See: NAPB website
  • Minutes of telephone conference #23 on March 19, 2009
    • Members present: George Askew, Stephen Baenziger, Shelley Jansky, Karen Moldenhauer, Seth Murray, Herb Olm, Rich Pratt, Phil Simon, Tom Stalker, Dave Stelly, Ann Marie Thro, Linda Wessel-Beaver, and Craig Yencho
    • Meeting for 2009 (Shelley Jansky)
      • Registration site is active: http://www.peopleware.net/2723/index.cfm?siteID=358&eventDisp=0-43-01
      • Speakers are being contacted.
      • Tentative topics for presentations will be added to the agenda
      • Update newsletter notice to indicate meeting goals:
      • To participate in helping to shape the future of plant breeding.
      • To attend presentations by leading researchers in plant breeding.
      • Updated newsletter notice will be sent to newsletters and email lists for CSSA, ASHS, FS, etc.
      • Poster submission will be limited to one per person. Submission of any relevant poster is encouraged, including research results, and discussions of breeding programs. We are especially interested in poster submissions from post-docs and grad students.
      • Some funds are left over from the last meeting. Additional conference funding may be available through AFRI Plant Genome, Genetics and Breeding - April 9 deadline.
    • White papers and one pagers (Stephen Baenziger)
      • White papers for most subcommittees have been posted on web site.
      • A white paper on domestic and foreign trade is needed. A committee should be organized to work on it.
      • White papers could be published in a scientific journal. Short paragraphs could also be developed to send to newspapers. It may be possible to publish in Agricultural Research, an ARS publication.
    • ASK statement (Stephen Baenziger)
      • May be crafted to include projects to develop tools that plant breeders could use. Examples include a phenotype database similar to BLAST, a facility for developing haploids, and a marker center.
      • September 2008 ASTA meeting will be published in Science.
    • Meeting authorization (George Askew)
      • The meeting in Madison will be authorized after an updated newsletter notice is provided.
    • Next conference call
      • April 16, 1 pm EST
  • Minutes of telephone conference #22 on February 26, 2009
    • Members present: Caron Gala, Star Gao, Mike Havey, Shelley Jansky, Rita Mumm, Herb Ohm, Rich Pratt, Jody Scheffler, Phil Simon, Dave Stelly, Ann Marie Thro, Greg Tolla, Todd Wehner, Linda Wessel-Beaver, Keith Woeste, Seth Murray, Kay Simmons
    • Meeting for 2009 (Shelley Jansky)
      • Speaker subcommittee: Bill Tracy (chair), Shelley Jansky
        • Topics: Funding for plant breeding, awards for plant breeders, education of new plant breeders, distance education versions of breeding courses
      • General agenda subcommittee: Stephen Baenziger (chair), Phil Simon, Todd Wehner, Linda Wessel-Beaver, Bill Tracy, Shelley Jansky, Ann Marie Thro, Roy Scott (ARS Nat. Prog. leader for oil seeds and biosciences)
      • Business meeting subcommittee: Stephen Baenziger (chair), Phil Simon, Todd Wehner
      • Nominations subcommittee: to be determined (chair), Ann Marie Thro, Jody Scheffler
      • National meeting advertising: Herb Ohm will notify CSSA, Linda Wessel-Beaver will notify ASHS, Greg Tolla will notify ASTA, Bill Tracy will notify non-profit groups, Shelley Jansky will notify PB News, Phil Simon will notify GIPB, Ronnie Coffman will notify
    • Awards for plant breeders
      • Ann Marie Thro was interested in producing a list of awards, and having PBCC give a plant breeding award
      • Nominate a chair for the group: Ann Marie Thro (chair), Dave Stelly (vice-chair), Keith Woeste, Greg Tolla, and Rich Pratt for subcommittee members
      • Objective: recognize excellence in plant breeding
      • Award examples: international plant breeder, graduate student award, postdoc award, young plant breeder, senior plant breeder, plant breeding educator
      • Need to compile a list of awards already in existence for plant breeding:
    • Subcommittee organization
      • Current subcommittee organization follows the USDA strategic plan for public interactions
      • REEO will be interacting with PBCC; their topics are: plant, animal, etc.
      • Liaisons should be encouraged to advertise our upcoming meeting
    • White papers
      • submit them to journals for publication ASAP
    • Plant breeding as a career
      • to be discussed in March
    • ASK statement
      • to be discussed in March
    • AFRI/SCRI funding RFA comments need our input
      • Comments from PBCC are needed for the funding requests from federal organizations
      • Ann Marie Thro suggested that we develop an official response to the RFA
      • We need to read the RFA sections; talk to people who submitted letters of intent and those who applied for grants; summarize the input; send letters with comments on grant funding areas, amounts, durations, etc.
      • Should we have an officer or liaison position assigned to this duty?
    • Next conference call
      • March 19, 1 pm EST
  • Minutes of telephone conference #21 on January 22, 2009
    • Members present: Surinder Gulia, Shelley Jansky, Randy Johnson, Rita Mumm, Herb Ohm, Rich Pratt, Jody Scheffler, Phil Simon, Tom Stalker, Dave Stelly, Ann Marie Thro, Greg Tolla, Mitch Tuinstra, Todd Wehner, Keith Woeste
    • Meeting for 2009 (Shelley Jansky)
      • Monday afternoon business
      • Tuesday business meeting after the break; the posters during the breaks
      • Speakers: 4 in the morning; 1-2 in the afternoon?; 1 Monday evening
      • Elections could be done as a ballot handed out in the morning, collected in the afternoon, presented the following day
      • Subcommittees need to elect a new secretary to serve 2009-2010 (and two more years as vice-chair and chair)
      • Should add a (sponsored) dinner to keep everyone together Monday night; followed by speaker and cash bar
      • Two speakers Tuesday afternoon followed by business meeting and posters
        • Debbie Sheely or Mark Poth - Specialty Crops Research Initiative
        • Rex Bernardo - Molecular breeding theory
        • Bill Beavis - Breeding methods
        • Jean Marcell Ribaut - International agricultural research centers
        • Bernice Shwesky from ASTA - seed research summit initiative
        • Bill Tracy of Seeds and breeds - increase of plant breeders
        • Tom Hash - ICRISAT
        • Molly Jahn - Plant breeding research
      • Tours would be optional after the meeting
      • Current program:
        • Monday, August 3
          • 12:00 noon: Arrive and registration
          • 1:00 pm: Business meeting
        • Tuesday, August 4
          • 7:00 am: Breakfast
          • 8:00 am: Introduction
        • Wednesday, August 5
          • 8:00 am: Optional tours
          • 12:00 pm: Return home
    • Subcommittee organization
      • Current subcommittee organization follows the USDA strategic plan for public interactions
      • REEO will be interacting with PBCC; their topics are: plant, animal, etc.
      • Liaisons should be encouraged to advertise our upcoming meeting
    • White Papers and one Pagers
      • All subcommittees have white papers and one-pagers on the web
      • Please send one pagers to Todd Wehner for posting
      • Circulate the information to associated groups to increase our interactions: Seeds and Breeds (Rich Pratt), ASTA (Greg Tolla)
    • ASK statements
      • Caron Gala and Karl Glasener will present the current status next month
      • Whole committee will work on the ASK statements for presentation
    • Plant breeding as a career
      • Popularity: PBCC website is the number one site in Google if typing 'National Plant Breeding'
      • Powerpoint file to be developed for use in recruiting students
      • Rita Mumm: did a video for a career website on plant breeding; will check with Donn Cummings and Mitch Tuinstra
      • Discuss further in February
    • Awards for plant breeders
    • Next conference call
      • February 26, 1 pm EST

 

Home Institutions Careers Newsletters Events Publications Germplasm Grants Public Relations Mission Links Search
Department of Horticultural ScienceBox 7609North Carolina State UniversityRaleigh, NC 27695-7609(919) 515-7416

Page citation: Wehner, T.C. Global Plant Breeding, 30 March 2005;
design by C.T. Glenn; send questions to T.C. Wehner; last revised on 24 March, 2010